NUJ Students: Lighting fires at ADM 2006

24 March 2006

Where are our ethnic members?

I noticed there were not a whole lot of members from the ethnic minority at this year's ADM. Maybe it was just me - not, admittedly, a very scientific head count to rely on people I happen to have seen. But we can’t talk about being under-represented in mainstream journalism when we don’t make our presence known at major events in the calendar of the NUJ. And ADM is the biggest union event for us all to come together and make our collective voice heard.

So next year, prepare yourself! Pack your bags and make your presence known. That’s the only way you will have a voice and that message is for all of us. The NUJ is not for a few chosen ones - it is for everybody and that includes you, students.

And anyway, it's actually great fun mixing business and pleasure...

2 Comments:

  • There could be many reasons. When I was President of Bradford Students' Union, there was a complete lack of ethnic minority involvement in student union politics. I realised the culture was very bar/pub orientated which didn't appeal to our minoirty ethnic students who were mainly Muslim and didn't drink and increasing in number (it was Bradford!). So I passed a motion to ensure all democratic processes were held in a non-alcholic venue suitable for all. I'm happy to see that now there are lots of muslims involved in the students' union - my point being is you have to create an environment where ethnic minority groups are welcomed and participation is encouraged. I got a hell of a lot of suprising resistance and opposition from die hard drinkers with bizarre arguments like 'can't they listen to the student union election night through radio at home'? with counter comments of 'Muslims are not lepers...'. Lets face it, the NUJ culture is very drink orientated...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 am  

  • This was my first ADM and there may be a number of reasons why memebers of the ethnic minority within the NUJ couldn't make it but if you are going to be a voice, you have to look past the culture and create your own. I don't drink and that wasn't going to change. I came down for the experience and I learnt one or two things. If we are going to collectively be a voice, regardless of the culture, then we have to do something. Your suggestion is great about creating an atmosphere where people from ethnic minority can participate but if they don't come down, who will ensure that process is set in motion?

    By Blogger Belinda Otas, at 6:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home