NUJ Students: Lighting fires at ADM 2006

24 March 2006

Standing up for my fellow students

The funniest thing happened.

Dad sometimes tells me I am not afraid to express my opinions, and so do some of my friends. Yesterday it became a useful tool in the freelance sector conference. A freelancer made a point about the developing practice of newspapers and magazines to take on students to write film reviews, but 'pay' them with a free meal or film tickets. In the opinion of this freelancer, that practice takes work away from freelance journalists.

I had to stand up and say something. I just had to.

What did I say? Well I stood up and introduced myself and that I was from the London freelance branch, then I decided to address his comment. I told my listening audience that they would have to understand that’s the only way we as students can gain any work experience. I suggested it would then be useful if the NUJ could put a structure in place that would mean no-one loses out and every one gains.

It is a fact that one is required to do a two-week work placement by their college or university as part of their course. I don’t believe in exploitation, but two weeks is sometimes not enough to learn the ropes. Yes, students should get paid for internships, which is a method some of the major newspapers have adopted. The point is that we are not here to take away jobs; we want to learn and pass on the baton as it is being handed down to us. Give us a fair chance and let’s work together. Remember, we are the future of the NUJ and Journalism domestically and internationally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home