NUJ Students: Lighting fires at ADM 2006

24 March 2006

The NUJ: A strange cult?

The best quote I’ve heard so far came from George Macintyre from the Newcastle branch, who likened the Adelphi to "a fine lady wo has past her prime and gone a bit seedy". And Jemima Kiss said it brought The Shining to mind.

As a student however, my idea of luxury is to upgrade from a ten-bed dorm to a three. The joys of free food spread quicker than juicy tabloid scandal around the student newbies. And that was just the people who still had appetites after much drinking - sorry, I mean liaising - in the bar the night before. I could get used to journalism like this…

Referring to regional points of contact, there's something about the term "chapel" that leaves me uneasy, especially when "fathers" and "mothers" of chapels are introduced into the picture. Something about the choice of words brings images of a strange religious NUJ cult to mind. Maybe student delegates should come up with jargon like "crew" and "hood" to tempt new members in with the idea of street kudos rather than communal chanting.

I've just had an idea which I should have contributed to the student conference wish-list on Thursday - if only I had thought of it sooner. I recommend that the ADM allocates up to four final agenda slots for student conference motions. The labels could be SM (Student Motion): 1 SM 2 SM 3 for example. These motions would be exempt from the November deadline and would be discussed agreed on here at the ADM. I think this would facilitate more interraction and understanding between students and pros. Thoughts, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home