NUJ Students: Lighting fires at ADM 2006

25 March 2006

Learning at ADM

The decision to come to this year's ADM meeting was so I could see things for myself on a first-hand basis. In previous years, having read emails sent out by the NUJ and wondering what ADM was all about, I really wasn't sure on what to expect or what the experience would be all about.

It has been an interesting experience, although travelling down was hectic because I had so much luggage. From now on, I've decided, I'm going to travel light and avoid taking up all the storage space on the train.

At the student ADM there were lessons to be learnt. The biggest lesson was that, as a student Journalist, whatever work you do, learn to get confirmation about the payment you are getting. You might not necessarily sign a contract, because sometimes that might be a laborious process and most likely put an editor off. An email confirmation will do the trick and you can always print out a paper version.

Journalism skills are transferable and whatever you start with is not necessarily where you end up. It seems sensible to be versatile and flexible because the industry is changing rapidly.

Attending the main conference has had more of a revelatory effect on me. Firstly, it felt like I was at the House of Parliament but without the heckling (mostly).

There are so many activities going on at the same time that it's amazing anyone is able to focus on the speaker. But somehow they do manage to vote on motions raised by delegates.

The process of getting a motion passed is not dissimilar to passing a bill in Parliament. It is read, someone seconds it, amendments are sometimes added and then conference votes by raising hands. If delegates vote for the motion it is 'carried, and if they vote against it is 'failed'.

Seeing the number of Journalists at this conference has re-enforced for me how competitive the industry is. We really are swimming with sharks. We need a Journalism survival plan!

I am at the apprentice stage, learning what is required to become a Journalist worth her salt. I already know that being a Journalist is hard work; you must define your worth for yourself and others so you can be reckoned with. I don't know it all yet, but what I have learnt in the last three days will help me take the next steps in my career.

2 Comments:

  • Belinda I hope you can be convinced that the number of people at the conference proves that you are not always swimming with sharks.
    The fact that so many people take the time to go to ADM demonstrates that there is real support for a more collaborative and collective media world.
    That's what the union is all about.
    You are certainly right about not knowing where you will end up.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I certainly never thought I'd end up editing a newspaper, presenting radio shows, editing a mag for PE teachers, or working for the union. But that's just a small part of my cv.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 pm  

  • Hello Miles,

    Thank you for your comment. As a student, I would like you to help myself and others in defining a good strategy to survive as Journalsit.

    By Blogger Belinda Otas, at 1:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home